Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Adventure(s) Continue

The Globe - The Audience stands in the center section for the performance.



As you may be able to tell from this picture, the center is open. Made for some interesting moments when planes flew over or birds flew in.


The stage - wooden and very rustic, but beautiful.


Seeing Romeo and Juliet today in the Globe was a great experience. Even though this is not the original globe, the builders worked very hard at getting it as close to the original as possible. I kept sitting there thinking that I was watching my favorite Shakespeare play in a theater that was very much the same as where his plays were performed. There was something very special about that to me.

The actual performance was very well done. Juliet was incredible. It was also amazing how good, and I mean really good, it was with very few props. I had a difficult time following some of the old English, but I expected that. I'm very glad we went.

Driving in London is an adventure every day. I am map challenged and all that know me well will say a big AMEN to that. One of the problems we have found here in England with driving is that streets change names more often (WAY more often) than in the USA. So, when map quest gives directions, the street may have a totally different name at that particular point making it impossible to make the right turns. So today, we broke down and purchased maps. Since I REFUSE to drive, that meant I had to navigate. And, of course, I got us going in the complete opposite direction we needed to go. My precious husband was so patient with me. At one point I told him I never felt dumber than when I was trying to use a map. And boy did I feel dumb when we realized we were NOT heading in the right direction. We finally made it back, but much later than we should have.

Please continue to pray for his writing. He works very late into the night and then is up early the next morning. Also pray we are granted a temporary parking pass. He was unable to see the council today. Please keep praying for my precious sons and my girls (dogs).

Thanks for leaving comments. It helps me feel connected to my USA friends.
Sorry there are no breaks between paragraphs. They were there before I posted. They disappeared when I posted and I have tried repeatedly to get them in.


3 comments:

  1. It's okay, I can't really read a map either. I hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gives new meaning to "where for art thou?" I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.
    I am loving reading about your adventures. I have never been to England and most likely never will be. Your entries are very informative and interesting...

    ReplyDelete