Monday, June 8, 2009

Windsor, WOW!! (And other updates)

This is the usual site in our flat. Darryl working away!
Windsor Castle as we left the parking lot. I've told you before that driving is an adventure. This time, we literally ended up right by the castle totally by mistake. We had given up finding it and were just looking for a place to park. We both kept shaking our heads and laughing about this.

An outside picture of the castle.










Darryl listening to his headpiece. We had an audio guided tour. We were not allowed to take pictures inside the castle, but the grounds were magnificent. I could have taken pictures for hours! The flag flying over the castle meant that the queen was in residence today.

















Two pictures of the grounds. This area is a dried-up mote that is now a garden. It was beautiful.




This is St. George's Chapel. It too was outstanding, but again, no pictures were allowed. I have been surprised that pictures are not allowed in the chapels/cathedrals here since we could take all the pictures we wanted in Rome.


More castle pictures




The Royal Guards


These are a couple of the roses in the royal garden in the mote.













They are pictures of Stonehenge. No one really knows how or way they are there. They are believed to be over 3,000 years old.

















Today was the first day we have ventured out since Thursday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon, he worked non-stop. We went to church Sunday morning which was just a few blocks from here. The temperature dropped on Wednesday and by Sunday, it was quite nippy. One of the faculty members from Regent's Park apologized on Sunday morning for how unseasonably cold it had gotten. She was wearing her winter coat. I was in open-toe shoes!! Staying in was not all bad since it was cold a sometimes raining. (yes, I know, its England!!!)
The castle was amazing, inside and out. I wish I could have taken pictures inside to share. The tour took between 2 and 3 hours, but was oh so worth the time!! We left there and drove to Stonehenge. Again, driving was a challenge. Roads are not clearly marked, and the worst is always back into Oxford. We were coming from a different direction today, so we were hopeful that getting back to our parking (which is a 20 minute walk from the flat) would not be quite so difficult. WRONG! The map programs say one thing, the town another. It wears me out.
Hope all is well with you!



















2 comments:

  1. This looks Awesome! Are you scrapbooking all of this? I don't know if I'll get a chance to go back and read everything but I'll keep up from here on out! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures and I can see you are having a blast! Keep it up! My prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete