Friday, June 5, 2009

Oxford













The pictures above are just some random shots of Oxford. Today was overcast and there was a light drizzle from time to time so I didn't take many pictures today. At least they were better than the ones I attempted to take yesterday on the bus. Many of the pictures I took were down little alleys. I am fascinated with them and each alley looks like its own little world. I may go back out again and photograph them using my telephoto lens so you can get a better perspective . I'll be sure to post if I do!
We started our morning by going to a little French cafe a couple of blocks from the flat. The hot tea was wonderful. I'm hoping to visit that cafe many more times while I'm here. I finally located a Starbucks not too terribly far from the flat. But by the time I found it, I had already had more caffeine than I should have so I just had to file that away for another day.
This evening, we attended a chapel service here at the college. It was different than a typical church service for me in that it was more traditional even leaning toward what I would call "high church" However, I don't mean in any way that it was not meaningful, because it was. I love to listen to the English speak, mix that with his teaching on communion and the importance of it and I was captivated. I could have listened to him preach longer, despite the fact that it was well past my dinner time.
Dinner was also at the college. Friday evening dinner is attended by many of the faculty and staff and a number of students. It is a dress-up affair and very formal. It was a very different experience for me in a number of ways. When Darryl came back saying dinner was lamb I was not looking forward to the food itself very much and was quite nervous about the whole thing. It actually turned out to be a rather enjoyable evening and the lamb dish was very good.
Darryl has worked all day on his writing, other than the chapel service and dinner and has made good progress. I did a little exploring. He is writing all day again tomorrow. Not sure what I'll find to do. Need to get caught up on my Bible Study on Esther and my Bible reading. There is a 60% chance of rain tomorrow, so exploring will have to wait.
Thanks to all who have emailed me to let me know you are praying. Your prayers mean so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment