Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bus Tour Day

I just love the British phone booth!



Traflagar Square looking down a street to Old London.



Another photo Traflagar Square. Reminded me of Rome!!



Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. Beautiful building!




St. Paul's Cathedral




Steps of St Paul's. This was where they shot the scene with the Bird Lady in Mary Poppins (one of my very favorite movies)



London Bridge and the HMS Belfast, a WWI warship.



Another view of London Bridge from the London Tower



London Tower, which use to be a castle.

We took a Bus Tour of London today. There were 30 places of interest on the tour with running commentary between stops. We could get off and take as long as we liked at any stop we chose. Some of the stops on the tour (London Eye and Madame Tussaud's) were places we had already been and some were things we wanted to drive by but not necessarily get out and spend time. We were able to park the car, get on the bus and have a relatively easy day.
At Trafalgar Square, we toured the National Gallery which has artwork dating back to the 1500's. Standing on the the porch of the National Gallery looking across the city reminded me of places we had seen in Rome, Italy when we were there in 2005.
Not only did we see London Bridge, we drove across it. I kept singing to myself, "London Bridge is falling down, falling down...." Thankfully, it didn't. We also drove past Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace, but I was unable to get a good picture of either place.
Tomorrow and Saturday, we are staying in Oxford so he can get more work done. I'll be exploring on my own (on foot!!!). I've got several places I want to check out tomorrow. Nothing of historical interest, mind you, but quaint little shops along the streets.

Thanks for following and for your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment